The Liliane Fond Project provides assistance to children through local partners
The key objective of the Liliane Foundation is to ensure that children with disabilities in developing countries, for example, Nigeria, take full and active part in everyday life in the society in which they live, joining in family and community activities. In order to achieve this, the local partners play a crucial role.
Our involvement in this project has brought great relief to the beneficiaries, in Zuru (Kebbi State, Nigeria), Gusau (Zamfara State, Nigeria). Through this project, we have:
- catered for thirty-three (33) clients between 2009 and 2013, those with disabilities such as visual and hearing impairment, limited mobility, cerebral palsy, hydrocephalus, and epilepsy.
- provided glasses for children with visual impairment
- provided calipers and clutches for those with limited mobility
- undertaken successful surgical operation for four clients
- purchased sewing machine for a client who went through vocational training.
On 2nd October, 2013, the out-going co-ordinator of this project in our Congregation, Sr Veronica Mbachu OP took five children (from Gidan Zalla Village, Gusau, Zamfara State) with physical challenges to Orthopeadic Hospital, Kano, Kano State, Nigeria. Below are some of the pictures of Sr Vero with the children and one who did not go with them. In one of the pictures, the children are with their fathers.