The Rural Development Animation Programme (RUDAP) is a non-governmental, non-profit making organization in of the Diocese of Sokoto, Sokoto State, Nigeria. It started as an offshoot of a programme to assist rural farmers in Yelwa-Yauri area, Kebbi State of the Diocese in 1986.
The target areas for this programme include rural dwellers of the parishes of Malumfashi, Layin Minista and Funtua, all in Katsina State, (Sokoto Diocese), Nigeria, with no bias toward religious or ethnic group.
To help in attaining the self-development and self-reliance of the rural dwellers of the target areas.
PHILOSOPHY behind RUDAP
RUDAP, as the name implies, is not concerned with doing for but doing with rural people. It aims to create self-reliance and to enhance the dignity of people, not to make them dependent.
RUDAP helps to enhance the dignity of the rural dwellers, though promotion of self-reliance within the community and respect for the environment.
In 1995 a Voluntary Service Oversea (V.S.O.) Mr. Philip Sassoon was hired to act as Adviser to the RUDAP Programme. Also, additional workers were employed to join the staff members.
In 1998 when the VSO’s contract with RUDAP expired, Rev. Sr. Regina Onyegbule, O.P. was appointed as Manager for the RUDAP Project.
Presently, RUDAP embarks on various projects in some communities in seven Local Government Areas of Katsina State and one LGA inKadunaStateunder the Catholic Diocese of Sokoto; the projects include:
- Access to potable water (borehole and hand-dug well)
- Food Security/Environmental Protection (establishment of cereal banks, striga control, improvement of soil fertility, sanitation, promotion of tree nursery and tree planting, etc)
- Education (construction of community schools, promotion of girl-child education)
- Community Development (formation of Community Development Organizations (CDO), animation, social issues, e.g. HIV and AIDS, women’s right in society, etc.)
- Women’s Empowerment (conducting of dry season classes in literacy/handicrafts, promotion of income generating projects, irrigation farming, grinding of mills, micro-credit scheme, promotion of small scale animal husbandry)
Partners in Development:
MISEREOR (a funding organization of Catholic Bishops inGermany) has been our principal partners in development. Misereor funds most of RUDAP projects. MANOS UNIDAS in Madrid, Spain has funded some of the projects. Other agencies that have supported RUDAP Project include:
Access to potable water:
RUDAP Commissions Gidan Anna Borehole